Longshaw Community Infant School
Learning, Caring, Inspiring, Succeeding
Our School Curriculum
OUR CURRICULUM INTENT
At Longshaw Infant School we constantly strive to improve our curriculum offer for the children in our school. We ensure that the curriculum is broad and balanced, with a wide offering of opportunity to learn and be successful in every area of learning. In order to do this effectively we:
- have leaders of all National Curriculum subjects who research their areas in order to become experts in their fields and to support all teachers with the delivery of quality learning
- have subject progression documents which outline the expectations for subject learning and detail the knowledge and skills to be taught in each year group
- build learning around meaningful and purposeful projects in order to teach children to link subject learning to real life situations
- identify learning opportunities which links to the children’s interests in order to enthuse and challenge them
- identify support for learning in the local area in order to inspire children and build aspirations for the future
Our Curriculum is built around these 6 Cs – Caring, Creativity, Collaboration, Character, Communication and Citizenship
It will aim to…
MAKE LEARNERS CURIOUS STIMULATE THE IMAGINATION
DEVELOP CREATIVE THINKERS ENCOURAGE RISK TAKERS INSPIRE CHILDREN TO ASK QUESTIONS
DEVELOP PROBLEM SOLVERS AND CRITICAL THINKERS
CREATE DECISION MAKERS ENCOURAGE CHILDREN TO EXPLORE LEARNING FURTHER
Yearly and Termly Curriculum Plans are produced for each year group.
Please click on them to see what your child will be learning.
Please note that due to Covid-19 school closures in 2020 these plans may be adjusted to enable children to catch up with missed learning.
Year 1 Topic Breakdown
Please click below to explore our intent for learning in each subject
We use Letters and Sounds to teach phonics in class, from EYFS right through to year 2.
Children also learn actions and songs for each sound through Jolly Phonics.